Saturday, June 1, 2013

Peony dress and Easy Simplicity

I made the girls coordinating dresses. I love dressing them alike but not matchy matchy. I was very pleased with these dresses despite having made Sumyrs dress a little big, which is not a problem, as this just makes that she can wear it that much longer. 

Sumyrs dress is from the Etsy seller Ruby Jeans Closet and it is the Peony Dress
And Laylas is the Simplicity pattern 3511 for little girls. 



Layla's dress was extremely easy to sew. It always turns out crisp and clean and is almost impossible to mess up the pattern. Its perfect for a busy little girl in the summertime, as it is free flowing, and easily pulled on and off. 



They loved having all my attention devoted to a little photography session. But started to get a little perturbed in the end. 



Of course the hemline is all wrinkled by now. Its my pet peeve seeing beautifully sewn garments photographed all in a wrinkled mess. But it was impossible to keep those little legs still. I did a little row of machine embroidery around the bottom edge. It gives it a barely visible touch of whimsy. 

I used a light pink ribbon in the casing of Sumyr's dress, which tied it in nicely with the pink embroidery on Layla's dress. Sumyr's dress fabric is from Fabric.com and is a white lawn with the lace panels already attached. It was on sale for less then $5 a yard, so I got 4 yards. I have quite a bit left and am excited to use the rest. 


This picture is just for anyhow. She is such a busy, capable little person. 


I highly recommend the patterns from Ruby Jeans Closet. They are truly easy to sew with very clear precise directions. The patterns come in a huge array of sizes. I cut the biggest size and then just fold down to the size I want to preserve the pattern for when she is older. The sleeve on the pattern also gets an elastic casing, but I chose to leave them as little flutter sleeves. I lined the whole body of the dress with white muslin. 


I am in love with the romantic vintage look. 


I got the vintage lace from Victorian Trading Co online. It comes in a spool of 10 yards for $12.99. Its quite sturdy and washes well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment